Do you know someone who wants to get experience in urban design, community development and creative regeneration?
We're looking for someone who is available part- or full-time over the next few weeks to get things moving around the reuse of empty shops and other spaces in Tower Hamlets. This would be a flexible, project-based internship, organised through Space Makers, and working with myself and Elin Ng.
The project would include:
- identifying and researching the ownership of empty properties
- identifying agents who may have a portfolio of properties they have difficulty in leasing
- looking at people who we could get to support our project (e.g. councillors/arts trusts/community business leaders)
- co-ordinating proposals for temporary uses of empty properties
- looking into how Tower Hamlets council may be guided by guidelines (e.g. LDA guidelines, the Mayor's London plan etc)
We're an unfunded, volunteer-driven organisation, so we would only be able to cover the most basic costs - but you would get to meet and work with a range of people active at a local and national level, finding creative possibilities among the challenges of the recession. You would have the chance to demonstrate your ability to get people together, make things happen and generate tangible results. The project and your role at the heart of it will be well documented online and this should enable you to stand out when looking for employment or applying for courses in related fields.
If you're interested in finding out more, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07810 650213.