Monday 5 March 2007

Driving Climate Change...?

I was wandering around Holloway, trying to find the Islington Arts Factory, when the sign outside this car showroom made me do a double-take. If they had been open, I would have gone in to ask how they got the name - and whether anyone has pointed out the irony:

Holocene Motor Group

"I was at a conference where someone said something about the Holocene, the long period of relatively stable climate since the end of the last ice age. I suddenly thought that this was wrong. The world has changed too much. So I said: 'No, we are in the Anthropocene.' I just made up the word on the spur of the moment. Everyone was shocked. But it seems to have stuck." - Paul Crutzen, climate scientist and winner of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry

(Quote from Fred Pearce, 'The Last Generation: How Nature Will Take Her Revenge for Climate Change')

No comments:

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog was my online home between 2006 and 2009. Today, you'll find me scattered across the internet. To start looking, go to my personal website: http://dougald.co.uk/

My Projects

Signpostr School of Everything

MyBLOGLOG

Followers

My ClustrMap

From My Shelves

Labels